The conflict in Sudan is still ongoing after a 24-hour ceasefire

The conflict in Sudan is still ongoing after a 24-hour ceasefire

The conflict in Sudan is reportedly still going on despite the warring parties announcing a “cease-fire” that began at 6 p.m. local time on Wednesday.

The powerful Sudanese paramilitary “Rapid Support Forces (RSF),” which has been fighting the army heavily since last Saturday, was the first to declare the end of hostilities.

Following this announcement, the Sudanese army said it will abide by the cease-fire “to facilitate the humanitarian sides, assuming that the other party abides by the cease-fire.”

However, the German news agency reported, citing one of its correspondents, that gunshots were fired in the city soon after the peace agreement took effect.

The cease-fire on Wednesday would be the second to fall apart in the previous two days. There had been a previous attempt to declare a cease-fire from Tuesday night to Wednesday night, but it never happened.

After a 24-hour truce brokered by the international community failed, fighting between the Sudanese army and paramilitary groups continued in Sudan for a fifth day on Wednesday. The nation’s capital, Khartoum, as well as various other regions have experienced shootings, airstrikes, and bomb attacks.

On Saturday, battle broke out between the RSF’s commanding officer, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, and military personnel loyal to Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the leader of the Sudanese army and the de facto ruler of the nation.

Both men, who have a lengthy history of violating human rights, are fighting for the leadership of the third-largest nation in Africa, which is abundant in natural resources.

According to Tedros Ghebreyesus, director-general of the UN’s World Health Organisation, the slaughter has so far resulted in at least 270 deaths and more than 2,600 injuries.

The army accused the “rebel militia” of continuing “skirmishes outside the army facilities and the airport,” which led to the breakdown of the cease-fire.

In response, the RSF charged that the army had launched “sporadic strikes” against its bases and soldiers in and around the city, “committing violations” and violating the cease-fire.

A protracted confrontation is feared as a result of the truce’s breakdown in the face of intense global pressure.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *